Sunday, September 11, 2011

Instrumentation

This has to be the worst PE there ever was for me.
I am one of those people who hold their pencil like a crazy person.
My thumb doesn't even touch the writing utincle.
So you can see how I am having a lot of trouble with instrumentation.
A few points to remember with holding your instruments:
  • Thumb and index finger opposite one another (not touching or overlapping) bent in a relaxed grasp, should make a circle, no blanching.
  • Middle finger should rest lightly on the shank
  • Ring finger and pinky rest on each other forming a stack (pinky is not lifted in the air, we are not drinking tea)
  • Ring finger is the fulcrum, or rest finger
Hand is held a little high, but you get the point. :)

I won't lie, I had to take home my typodont and instuments to practice. Another thing that is helping to get the finger hold down is to start holding my pencil and pens this way. My hand gets tired really fast because I am focusing on it so hard. Hopefully it will come with time and I will be able to make the instrumentation natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment