Thursday, September 29, 2011

Design and Class

That's right! I'm talking INSTRUMENTS.

Wednesday, we went over all our instruments and what the difference is between them.
We have 10 different instruments that actually touch a tooth.
There are differences between each one that the untrained eye can't see.
Now that my eye has been trained, I can tell the difference between a Nevi and Nebraska.
and I'm not just talking the color of the handle.

Some differences to look for include, but are not limited to:
1. Is the working end RIGID/ NON-RIGID?
2. Does the instrumentation remove LIGHT/ HEAVY CALCULUS?
3. Is the tool primarily used on ANTERIOR/ POSTERIOR SURFACES?
4. Is the TERMINAL SHANK SHORT/LONG?
5. What is the ORIENTATION of the blade?

A few things stuck out to me during this clinic session.
All the blades are a 90* Angle, excluding the Gracey's (70*)
The explorer is the only subgingival instrument with a pointed tip instead of a toe.


Today Professor Costly got CRAZY with her lesson and had a contest.
Whoever could set up their pod for Pt. Tx. fastest, would get a treat.

Short story long, I WON! 
... because I'm awesome!

overall: pretty chill day. Now to memorize all these instruments. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment