Sunday, March 4, 2012

Class 2.

Another family member came to help me out and let me clean her teeth. I struggled a little with it because I kept hitting calculus when I was trying to probe. I really wanted to get out the ultrasonic and just blast the few chunks away so I could get accurate readings, but I pushed through and even felt myself starting to pull away and go around them.

It was interesting telling my own family member she is a class 2. I felt bad because it is a very sensitive subject and It is hard to tell someone you love that they aren't taking good enough care of their teeth. She is just fine at brushing, it is flossing that is a problem.

In the end, I finished at OHI. I really wanted to teach her why it was sooo important to floss. Her X-rays were a big help in educating her on the bone levels and how it is important to keep it from getting worse. From what I have learned about Dentures, I would not like to have them ever. I know she wouldn't either. As this disease keeps progressing, it will eventually turn into that. That is why we need to get a hand on it now.

It was interesting to see the bone loss on the x-rays and to diagnose her as a class 2. It was a great lesson on how to be compassionate while teaching the important facts about periodontal health.

No comments:

Post a Comment